Speaker: Prof. Enrique Solano University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain
Time: 2017-11-17 10:00-2017-11-17 11:00
Venue: MMW S327
I will introduce the concept of analog and digital quantum simulations as a means of reproducing physical models onto more controllable quantum systems. I will explain the role of these paradigms in different quantum platforms, while providing specific examples in trapped ions and superconducting circuits. Furthermore, I will discuss the possible merge of digital and analog concepts, onto digital-analog quantum simulations, to reach quantum supremacy in current quantum technologies.
Bio: 1) Prof. Solano studied Physics in Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI, France), and got his PhD at the Universidade Federal de Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
2) Prof. Solano was Professor at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, he was a researcher at Max-Planck Institute for Quantum Optics and at Ludwig-Maximilian University of Munich, Germany.
3) Prof. Solano is currently Ikerbasque Professor and leader of the group "Quantum technologies for information science (QUTIS)" at University of the Basque Country UPV/EHU in Bilbao. His QUTIS group is a world-leading research group that has expertise in Quantum Optics, Quantum Information, Condensed Matter, Superconducting Quantum Circuits, and Quantum Biomimetics.
4) Prof. Solano’s QUTIS group developed pioneer work in quantum simulations of the Dirac equation, quantum field theories and condensed matter in trapped ions and superconducting circuits.
5) Prof. Solano’s QUTIS group developed pioneer work in the ultrastrong coupling regime of light-matter coupling in circuit quantum electrodynamics.
6) Prof. Solano’s QUTIS group developed pioneer work in generation and detection of propagating quantum microwaves, including a patent for the first design of a microwave photodetector.
7) Prof. Solano published ~ 120 articles: 45 Physical Review Letters, 10 Nature papers, and has 3 international patents. Prof. Solano is editor of international journals and member of distinguished international scientific panels, he has organized important conferences in quantum optics, condensed matter, and quantum information, and been invited to give keynote and plenary talks around the world.