2010-2015, Ph.D. in Physics, University of Michigan
Thesis: Topological Phases of Matter: Classification, Realization and Application
Kent M. Terwilliger Memorial Thesis Prize
2007-2010, M. Sc. in Theoretical Physics, Chern Institute of Mathematics, Nankai Univeristy
Thesis: Topological Quantum Computation and Beyond
2003-2007, B. S. in Physics and Mathematics, Nankai Univeristy
2018- Assistant Professor, IIIS, Tsinghua University
2015-2018 Joint Quantum Institute Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Maryland
- > Quantum Information, Computation, and Simulation
- > Quantum Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence
- > Topological Phases of Matter, AMO Physics
- > Quantum Nonequilibrium Systems, Many-body Localization
Honors, Awards & Fellowships
- > 2015 Kent M. Terwilliger Memorial Thesis Prize, University of Michigan
- > 2015 Joint Quantum Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Maryland
- > 2015 Niels Bohr Postdoctoral Fellowship, Niels Bohr Institute, Univerisity of Copenhagan, declined
- > 2010 Physics Department Fellowship, University of Michigan
- > 2008 First-Class Prize for Graduate Students, Nankai University
- > 2006 National Scholarship, Nankai University
- > 2004 First-Class Prize of Tianjin City Undergraduate Mathematic Competition, Tianjin
Professional Activities & Services
- > Referee for peer-reviewed journals & conferences: Phys. Rev. X, Phys. Rev. Lett.,
- Phys. Rev. A\B, New Journal of Physics, Scientific Report, Optical Express, Optical
- Letters, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, Physical Scripta, Journal of
- Physics: Condensed Matter, Quantum Information Processing, Physics Letters A, NPJ
- Quantum Information, TQC conferences, etc.
- > Chair of conference sessions: Session H3 "Symmetry Protected Topological Phases", APS
- March Meeting, Los Angles, 2017; Session"Topological Order, Error Correction and Quantum
- Gates", Quantum Science, Gordon Research Conferences, Easton, 2016; Session B29
- "Quantum Spin Hall Effect", APS March Meeting, Baltimore, 2016; etc.
- > Co-organizer of CMTC seminars, 2016-2017
Invited Talks (Partial List)
- -2018.4 CCQ Machine Learning and Quantum Many-Body Physics, "Measuring quantum
- entanglement entropy through restricted Boltzmann machines", Flatiron Institute
- -2018.3 APS March Meeting, "Machine learning quantum states and many-body
- entanglement", Los Angeles
- -2018.1 2nd Physics Informed Machine Learning Conference, "Machine learning quantum
- states, many-body entanglement and Bell nonlocality", Los Alamos National Laboratory
- -2017.12 Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Quantum Physics, "Machine Learning Bell
- Nonlocality in Quantum Many-body Systems", Nanjing University
- -2017.7 Condensed Matter Seminar, "Machine learning quantum states and entanglement",
- Peking University
- -2017.7 Quantum Information Seminar, "Machine learning quantum states and entanglement",
- University of Science and Technology of China
- -2017.7 Condensed Matter Seminar, "Probe knots and Hopf insulators in both cold-atom and
- solid-state quantum simulators", Fudan University
- -2017.6 International Conference on Machine Learning and Many-body Physics, "Machine
- learning and quantum entanglement", KITS, Beijing
- -2017.1 JQI 10th Anniversary Symposium, "Exact machine learning topological states",
- University of Maryland
- -2015.2 Condensed Matter Seminar, "Probe knots and Hopf insulators with ultracold atoms",
- C.N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics, Stony Brook
- -2014.7 Quantum Information Seminar, "Majorana quantum random number generators",
- South China Normal University, Guangzhou
- -2014.6 CIM Quantum Information Seminar, "Quantum non-locality and certifiable Majorana
- quantum random number generators", Chern Institute of Mathematics
- -2013.4 Condensed Matter Seminar, "Hopf insulators and their topologically protected surface
- states", Indiana University at Bloomington
- -2011.11 Quantum Information Seminar, "Bell non-locality in conventional and topological
- quantum phase transitions", National University of Singapore
Selected Publications (Google scholar profile)
-  D.-L. Deng, C.-F. Wu, J.-L. Chen, and C. H. Oh, Fault-Tolerant Greenberger-Horne-Zeilinger Paradox Based
- on Non-Abelian Anyons, Phys. Rev. Lett., 105, 060402 (2010).
-  C. Zu, Y.-X. Wang, D.-L. Deng, X.-Y. Chang, K. Liu, P.-Y. Hou, H.-X. Yang,and L.-M. Duan, State-Independent
- Experimental Test of Quantum Contextuality in an Indivisible System, Phys. Rev. Lett., 109,150401 (2012).
- Highlighted by the Physics Viewpoint article: "Mind the (Quantum) Context" by M.Paris and M. Paternostro,
- Physics 5, 113 (2012); Highlighted as Editor's Suggestion.
-  X. Zhang, M. Um, J.-H. Zhang, S.-M An, Y. Wang, D.-L. Deng, C. Shen, L.-M. Duan, and Kihwan Kim, State-
- Independent Experimental Test of Quantum Contextuality with a Single Trapped Ion, Phys. Rev. Lett., 110,
- 070401 (2013).
-  D.-L. Deng, and L.-M. Duan,Fault-tolerant quantum random-number generator certified by Majorana fermions,
- Phys. Rev. A, 88, 012323 (2013).
-  C. Zu, D.-L. Deng, P.-Y. Hou, X.-Y. Chang, F. Wang, and L.-M. Duan, Experimental Distillation of Quantum
- Nonlocality, Phys. Rev. Lett., 111, 050405 (2013).
-  D.-L. Deng, S.-T. Wang, C. Shen, and L.-M. Duan, Hopf insulators and their topologically protected surface
- states, Phys. Rev. B (Rapid Communications), 88, 201105(R) (2013).
-  S.-T. Wang, D.-L. Deng, and L.-M. Duan, Probe of Three-Dimensional Chiral Topological Insulators in an
- Optical Lattice, Phys. Rev. Lett., 113, 033002 (2014). [Highlighted as Editor's Suggestion].
-  D.-L. Deng, S.-T. Wang, L.-M. Duan, Direct Probe of Topological Order for Cold Atoms, Phys. Rev. A
- (Rapid Communications), 90, 041601 (2014).
-  D.-L. Deng, J. H. Pixley, X.-P. Li, and Sankar Das Sarma, Exponential Orthogonality Catastrophe in
- Single-particle and Many-body Localized Systems, Phys. Rev. B (Rapid Comm.), 92, 220201 (2015).
-  D.-L. Deng, S. Ganeshan, X.-P. Li, R. Modak, S. Mukerjee, and J. H. Pixley, Many-body localization in
- incommensurate models with a mobility edge, Annalen der Physik, 1600399 (2017). [invited topical
- review article for Annalen der Physik (Annals of Physics, Berlin)]
-  D.-L. Deng, X. P. Li, and S. Das Sarma, Exact Machine Learning Topological States, Phys. Rev. B
- (Rapid Communications), 96, 195145 (2017)
-  D.-L. Deng, X. P. Li, and S. Das Sarma, Quantum Entanglement in Neural Network States, Phys. Rev. X,
- 7, 021021 (2017). [Media coverage: JQI news, Deep Tech, Futurism, etc.]
-  D.-L. Deng, Machine Learning Detection of Bell Nonlocality in Quantum Many-Body Systems, Phys. Rev. Lett.,
- 120, 240402 (2018)