Institute for Interdisciplinary Information Sciences
• Ultra-cold Atomic Gases
• Topological Condensed Matter Physics
Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China 09/2008 – 07/2013
Degree: Ph.D in Physics
ICQM, Peking University, Beijing, China 09/2010 – 08/2012
Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, China 09/2001 - 07/2005
Degree: B.S. in Physics
Awarded: “Outstanding University Graduate”
Tsinghua University, 09/2017 – current
Position: Assistant Professor
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, USA 05/2016 – 08/2017
Position: Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The University of Texas at Dallas, USA 09/2013 – 05/2016
Position: Research Scientist
The University of Texas at Dallas, USA 09/2012 – 09/2013
Position: Visiting Research Assistant
Software Companies in China 10\2006 - 09\2007
Position: Software Developer
Awards and Honors
• 2016 JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers (declined)
• 2010, Directors Scholarship of Institute of Physics
• 2005, Outstanding University Graduate, Lanzhou University, China
• 2004, Chun-Tsung Scholar
• Outstanding Student Scholarships, Lanzhou University, China
Preprints: (*corresponding author, see also Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=zh-CN&user=xgb3JV4AAAAJ)
39. "Symmetry-Protected Topological Phases in a Rydberg Glass",
Kai Li, Jiong-Hao Wang, Yan-Bin Yang, Yong Xu*, arXiv:2104.14097 (2021).
Publications [ 10 PRLs (8 first-author or corresponding author), 1 Nat. Commun., 1 Science Advances ]:
38. "Structural Disorder Induced Second-order Topological Insulators in Three Dimensions",
Jiong-Hao Wang, Yan-Bin Yang, Ning Dai, Yong Xu*, arXiv:2012.12052 (2020) (PRL accepted).
37. "Observation of heat scaling across a first-order quantum phase transition in a spinor condensate",
H-Y Liang, L-Y Qiu, Y-B Yang, H-X Yang, T Tian, Y Xu*, LM Duan*, New J. Phys. 23, 033038 (2021).
36. "Higher-order Topological Anderson Insulators",
Yan-Bin Yang, Kai Li, L.-M. Duan, Yong Xu*, Phys. Rev. B 103 (8), 085408 (2021).
35. "Hinge solitons in three-dimensional second-order topological insulators",
Yu-Liang Tao, Ning Dai, Yan-Bin Yang, Qi-Bo Zeng, Yong Xu*, New J. Phys. 22, 103058 (2020).
34. "Winding Numbers and Generalized Mobility Edges in Non-Hermitian Systems",
Qi-Bo Zeng and Yong Xu*, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 033052 (2020).
33. “Higher-order topological insulators and semimetals in two-dimensional Aubry-Andre-Harper models”,
Qi-Bo Zeng, Yan-Bin Yang, and Yong Xu*, Phys. Rev. B 101 (24), 241104 (R) (2020).
32. “Type-II quadrupole topological insulators”,
Yan-Bin Yang, Kai Li, L.-M. Duan and Yong Xu*, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 033029 (2020).
31. “Observation of generalized Kibble-Zurek mechanism across a first-order quantum phase transition in a spinor condensate”, L.-Y. Qiu, H.-Y. Liang, Y.-B. Yang, H.-X. Yang, T. Tian, Y. Xu*, L.-M. Duan*, arXiv: 2001.10210 (2020) (accepted for publication in Science Advances).
30. "Observation of Dynamical Quantum Phase Transition with Correspondence in Excited State Phase Diagram", T. Tian, H.-X. Yang, L.-Y. Qiu, H.-Y. Liang, Y.-B. Yang, Y. Xu*, and L.-M. Duan*, Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 043001 (2020).
29. "Topological phases in non-Hermitian Aubry-Andr\'e-Harper models", Qi-Bo Zeng, Yan-Bin Yang, Yong Xu*, Phys. Rev. B 101, 020201 (Rapid communication) (2020).
28. "Topological Amorphous Metals",
Yan-Bin Yang, Tao Qin, Dong-Ling Deng, L.-M. Duan, Yong Xu*, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 076401 (2019), Editors' suggestion
27. "Topological Gapless Matters in Three-dimensional Ultracold Atomic Gases"
Yong Xu, Front. Phys. 14, 43402 (2019). Invited review for the special issue on recent advances in topological materials of Frontiers of Physics
26. "Observation of dynamical quantum phase transitions in a spinor condensate", H.-X. Yang, T. Tian, Y.-B. Yang, L.-Y. Qiu, H.-Y. Liang, A.-J. Chu, C. B. Dağ, Y. Xu, Y. Liu, and L.-M. Duan, Phys. Rev. A 100, 013622 (2019)
25. "Scheme to Equilibrate the Quantized Hall Response of Topological Systems from Coherent Dynamics",
Yong Xu (corresponding author) and Ying Hu, Phys. Rev. B 99, 174309 (2019)
24. "Experimental Realization of Robust Geometric Quantum Gates with Solid-State Spins",
Y.-Y. Huang, Y.-K. Wu, F. Wang, P.-Y. Hou, W.-B. Wang, W.-G. Zhang, W.-Q. Lian, Y.-Q. Liu, H.-Y. Wang, H.-Y. Zhang, L. He, X.-Y. Chang, Y. Xu, and L.-M. Duan, Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 010503 (2019).
23. “Continuously tunable topological pump in high-dimensional cold atomic gases”,
Yan-Bin Yang, L.-M. Duan, and Yong Xu (corresponding author), Phys. Rev. B 98, 165128 (2018).
22. "Time-reversal-invariant Spin-orbit-coupled Bilayer Bose-Einstein Condensates”,
Matthew Maisberger, Lin-Cheng Wang, Kuei Sun, Yong Xu, Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. A 97, 053624 (2018)
21. "Unconventional Quantum Hall Effects in Two-dimensional Massive Spin-1 Fermion Systems”,
Yong Xu and L.-M. Duan, Phys. Rev. B 96, 155301 (2017)
20. “Weyl Exceptional Rings in a Three-Dimensional Dissipative Cold Atomic Gas”,
Yong Xu, Sheng-Tao Wang, and L.-M. Duan, Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 045701 (2017)
19. “Experimental Observation of a Topological Band Gap Opening in Ultracold Fermi Gases
with Two-Dimensional Spin-Orbit Coupling”, Zengming Meng, Lianghui Huang, Peng Peng,
Donghao Li, Liangchao Chen, Yong Xu, Chuanwei Zhang, Pengjun Wang, and Jing Zhang,
18. “Type-II Weyl Points in Three-Dimensional Cold-atom Optical Lattices”,
Yong Xu and L.-M. Duan, Phys. Rev. A 94, 053619 (2016)
17. “Phase-tunable Josephson Junction and Spontaneous Mass Current in a Spin-Orbit-Coupled
Fermi Superfluid”, Lei Jiang, Yong Xu, and Chuanwei Zhang,
16. “Dirac and Weyl Rings in Three Dimensional Cold Atom Optical Lattices”,
Yong Xu and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. A 93, 063606 (2016)
15. “Interacting Spin-Orbit-Coupled Spin-1 Bose-Einstein Condensates”,
Kuei Sun, Chunlei Qu, Yong Xu, Yongping Zhang, and Chuanwei Zhang,
14. “Structured Weyl Points in Spin-Orbit Coupled Fermionic Superfluids”,
Yong Xu, Fan Zhang, and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 265304 (2015) (Selected as the high cited in Wed of Science)
13. “Topological Fulde-Ferrell Superfluids of a Spin-Orbit-Coupled Fermi Gas”,
Yong Xu and Chuanwei Zhang, Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 29, 1530001 (2015) (invited review)
12. “Majorana Fermions in Quasi-1D and Higher Dimensional Ultracold Fermionic Optical
Lattices”, Chunlei Qu, Ming Gong, Yong Xu, Sumanta Tewari, and Chuanwei Zhang,
11. “Bright Solitons in a 2D Spin-Orbit-Coupled Dipolar Bose-Einstein Condensate”,
Yong Xu, Yongping Zhang, and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. A 92, 013633 (2015)
10. “Gap Solitons in Spin-Orbit-Coupled Bose-Einstein Condensates in Optical Lattices”,
Yongping Zhang, Yong Xu, and Thomas Busch, Phys. Rev. A 91, 043629 (2015)
9. “Berezinskii-Kosterlitz-Thouless Phase Transition in 2D Spin-Orbit-Coupled Fulde-Ferrell Superfluids”,
Yong Xu and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 110401 (2015)
8. “Dark Solitons with Majorana Fermions in Spin-Orbit-Coupled Fermi Gases”,
Yong Xu, Li Mao, Biao Wu, and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 130404 (2014)
7. “Anisotropic Weyl Fermions from Quasiparticle Excitation Spectrum of a 3D Fulde-Ferrell Superfluid”,
Yong Xu, Rui-Lin Chu, and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 136402 (2014)
Editors’ Suggestion, highlighted in Asia Pacific Physics Newsletter
6. “Topological Superfluids with Finite Momentum Pairing and Majorana Fermions”,
Chunlei Qu, Zhen Zheng, Ming Gong, Yong Xu, Li Mao, Xubo Zou, Guangcan Guo, and
Chuanwei Zhang, Nat. Commun. 4, 2710 (2013)
5. “Competing Superfluid Orders in Spin-Orbit-Coupled Fermionic Cold Atom Optical Lattices”,
Yong Xu, Chunlei Qu, Ming Gong, and Chuanwei Zhang, Phys. Rev. A 89, 013607 (2014)
4. “Stability of p-orbital Bose-Einstein Condensates in Optical Checkerboard and Square
Yong Xu, Zhu Chen, Hongwei Xiong, W. Vincent Liu, and Biao Wu,
3. “Bright Solitons in Spin-Orbit-Coupled Bose-Einstein Condensates”,
Yong Xu, Yongping Zhang, and Biao Wu, Phys. Rev. A 87, 013614 (2013)
2. “Structure of Two-Component Bose-Einstein Condensates with Respective Vortex-
Antivortex Superposition States”,
Linghua Wen, Yongjun Qiao, Yong Xu, and Li Mao, Phys. Rev. A 87, 033604 (2013)
1. “Self-Consistent Approach for Mapping Interacting Systems in Continuous Space to Lattice Models”,
Biao Wu, Yong Xu, Lin Dong, and Jun-Ren Shi, CHIN. PHYS. LETT. 29, 083701 (2012)
2018-2019 Fall: Linear Algebra for Yao class.
2019 Summer: The Physics of Information for Yao class.
2019-2020 Fall: Linear Algebra for Yao and Zhi class.
Postdoc: Qi-Bo Zeng, PhD from Tsinghua University
Postdoc: Ning Dai, PhD from Peking University
Yan-Bin Yang, B.S. Nanjing University
Yu-Liang Tao, B.S. Sun Yat-sen University
Kai Li, Nanjing University
Jionghao Wang, Nanjing University
Highly motivated students are welcome to join our group for both graduate students (one each year) and undergraduate students. 1 postdoc positions are available.